What Do I Do If My Cat Doesn’t Drink Water?
Dehydration can be deadly for our pets, and it is our obligation to ensure that they drink enough water to be hydrated and that their body functions properly. If you think your cat does not drink water, or not enough, there are several things you can do to help him.
Why my cat doesn’t drink water
The liquid of life … That’s what they call it. And it is not for less, because a third of the Earth, of our own body, and that of our pets, is formed by this essential liquid for life.
A person or an animal can spend several days without eating, but will not resist more than three days without drinking water, as it is essential for our good health and for our own life.
Do you understand now why we are talking about how to help your cat if he doesn’t drink water? Because it is vital for him! Dehydration can cause death or, at the very least, serious damage to your vital organs.
If you see that your cat’s drinking fountain is always full, or that its level drops very little, there is a problem that you must solve urgently. The reasons why your cat does not drink water are the following:
- The drinking fountain It is possible that the shape of the drinker is uncomfortable to drink, or that the container is already very old and gives off substances that mix with the taste of water.
- Could it be that you forgot to change the water? It can happen to all of us, but if the water gets dirty or gets too hot, the cat will not want to drink.
- Have you changed the site drinking fountain? Remember that cats are routine animals and that you think that a place is better to put their containers does not mean that he thinks the same.
These are some of the most common causes of why a cat does not drink water. Knowing these, let’s see how to solve this problem.
What to do if my cat does not drink water
You may find it difficult to determine why your cat does not drink water but put into practice these tips, which cover all causes and thus heal you in health.
- Change the trough. Plastic drinkers can give off a smell and taste over time that will mix with the water and that will throw your cat back at the time of drinking. It is recommended that you change it for a stainless steel one.
- Change the water constantly. Your cat’s water always has to be clear and crisp, just out of the tap. Remember that cats are obsessive with cleanliness and dirty water will not attract them at all.
- Put fresh water. It is true that animals do not need fresh drinks to calm the heat, but it is also not pleasant for them to drink too hot water. In summer, and especially if the drinker is made of steel, it can take high temperatures because of the heat that emanates from the soil. Put your cat mixed water of the weather and cold.
- Bottle water. If you don’t drink tap water, why do you give it to your cat? It is possible that it contains residues that give a bad taste and that your cat does not like, besides that, in the long run, it could harm his health.
- An illness. If you have tried all this, but you see that your cat does not drink water, it is possible that he has a disease to which attention should be paid.
If none of these tips works for you, talk to your veterinarian, who will give you alternative ways for your cat to drink water, such as or through a syringe or wet food.
One option is also to wet your feed, it is possible that you find it very pleasant. You could get used to and hydrate through it.
Be that as it may, do your best because your cat drinks water because something is called the liquid of life. Your pet’s life depends on it.